Last updated: December 5, 2016
This policy pertains to, and governs, the collection, protection, use, disclosure and retention of personal information. 3293530 Nova Scotia Company and its subsidiaries and affiliates (hereinafter referred to as “Veri”, “we”, “us” or “our”) places tremendous value on privacy and is committed to keeping all personal information confidential and to protecting it from loss, destruction or unauthorized access. As a result, Veri has adopted this policy (this “Policy”) which aims to ensure the confidentiality and security of personal information in accordance with applicable law. The most recent version of the Policy is available here.
PURPOSE AND SCOPE OF THIS POLICY
This Policy describes how we collect, use and disclose your personal information and how this personal information can be consulted and corrected when necessary. This policy also explains how cookies are used on our Website (as defined below).
By accessing or using our Services (as such term is defined below), contacting us or agreeing to receive emails from Veri, you accept the terms and conditions of this Policy.
For the purposes of this Policy, “personal information” means any information about an identifiable individual, excluding any personal information that is deemed public in nature under applicable law.
This Policy pertains to all personal information collected and held by Veri from individuals who:
- visit Veri’s website located at http://www.veriapp.co (which includes all subdomains, present and future) and any other websites or webpages through which Veri promotes or makes the Services available (collectively, the “Website”);
- use the Veri mobile application (the “Application”, and together with the Website and any other services offered within our Website or Application, the “Services”).
This Policy applies to all personal information regardless of its form, namely, written, audio, visual, digital or other forms.
By visiting and/or using any of the Services, you agree to be bound by the terms and conditions of this Policy. Please check the Policy periodically for changes, though we will also notify you via email or other direct electronic communication method of any changes that, in our sole discretion, materially impact the treatment of your personal information. Your access or use of the Services following the posting or notification of any changes to this Policy constitutes acceptance of such changes.
Veri uses third party companies, applications and payment processors (including, without limitation, Stripe) to facilitate the functioning of the Services or to perform tasks that are integral to the Services, such as processing transactions, fulfilling requests for information, collecting, monitoring or analysing information or providing support services or other tasks, from time to time (collectively, the “Third-Party Apps”). In addition, the Application allows our customers to connect certain of their third-party social networking accounts, such as Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Google (collectively, the “Supported Platforms”) to their Veri account. While we endeavour to work with Supported Platforms and Third-Party Apps that share our respect for your privacy, we cannot take responsibility for the content or privacy policies of such Supported Platforms or Third-Party Apps. We encourage you to carefully review the privacy policies of such Supported Platforms or Third-Party Apps.
COLLECTION OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
When a customer first registers for a Veri account on the Application, and when a customer uses the Services, Veri (or the Third-Party Apps Veri uses) collects the following personal information:
- your full name, username, e-mail address and other contact details;
- a unique Veri user ID which is assigned to a customer upon registration;
- your unique ID associated with each Supported Platform linked to your Veri account;
- your mobile device unique ID;
- the geographic area where you use your computer or mobile device;
- demographic information, such as interests and hobbies;
- tax identification numbers;
- billing or residential address, Stripe information and any necessary other information to complete any financial transaction;
- user generated content (such as messages, posts, comments, pages, profiles, images, feeds or other communications made using the Services);
- images or other files that a customer may publish via our Services;
- other information submitted to us by a customer, such as queries, comments or feedback concerning the Services and customer satisfaction information; and
- other optional information as part of an individual’s profile.
Veri also automatically collects and receives certain information from your computer or mobile device, including the activities you perform on the Website and the Application, the type of hardware and software you are using and information obtained from cookies (see section entitled “Cookies” below). For example, each time you visit the Website or otherwise use the Services, we automatically collect your IP address, browser name and version device type, wireless carrier, operating system used, access times, the search engine and web page from which you came, the regions from which you navigate the web page, the web page(s) you access (as applicable) and the timestamp related to an individual’s consent or confirmed consent.
Veri collects the aforementioned personal information for the following purposes:
- to identify an individual when he or she logs into his or her account;
- to verify or process transactions and for purchase confirmation, billing, security and authentication;
- to analyze information about users or visitors of the Website and Application, including research into our customer demographics in order to improve our Services;
- customer relationship management, including asking customers for ratings and reviews of the Services and products;
- to contact customers (live chat, email or phone inquiries) about their account and provide customer service support, including responding to comments and questions;
- to keep customers informed about the Services, features, surveys, newsletters, offers, contests and events we think they may find useful or which they requested from us;
- to determine an applicant’s eligibility for the Services provided by Veri; and
- to verify an applicants’ creditworthiness.
From time to time, Veri may update the purposes for which it collects, holds, uses and communicates personal information, in which case the individuals concerned will be notified accordingly.
Veri undertakes to collect all personal information by honest and lawful means and only if such information is necessary for the authorized purposes.
Except as permitted by applicable law, personal information is collected from the person concerned.
Before using personal information for purposes other than those identified herein, such new purposes shall be appropriately documented and communicated to the individual(s) concerned and the consent of such individual(s) must be obtained.
An individual may refuse to consent to the collection, use or communication of personal information at any time. It may also withdraw his or her consent subject to restrictions provided by law or contract and reasonable notice. In addition, Veri shall inform the individual who refuses to consent or who withdraws his or her consent of the consequences of such refusal or withdrawal. The refusal or withdrawal of consent may result in, amongst other things, such individual’s ineligibility for the Services provided by Veri.
These cookies cannot be used to extract personal information. However, we can match the information collected by cookies with other information through the Website.
Disabling cookies on your browser could adversely affect your browsing experience on the Website.
CONSERVATION, UPDATES AND DESTRUCTION
Veri must ensure that personal information is kept up to date, accurate and complete in order to fulfil the purposes for which it was collected, as such we ask you to please inform us immediately of any change in your personal information.
Personal information may need to be retained by Veri for a period of time following cancellation of an individual’s account or the termination of the business relationship between such individual and Veri where the retention of information is necessary for Veri’s legitimate business purposes or required or authorized by applicable law. Thereafter, the personal information will be destroyed, erased or depersonalized.
Veri shall keep all personal information confidential and protect personal information against loss and theft, as well as against unauthorized access, disclosure, copying, use or modification with security measures and safeguards appropriate for the sensitivity of the personal information concerned.
Only a limited number of authorized personnel of Veri who require the information for the performance of their duties will have access to personal information and such access will be limited to information that is strictly necessary for the performance of those duties.
In the event that personal information needs to be communicated to mandataries of Veri, Veri shall ensure that such mandataries have the necessary credentials to access the personal information and that such personal information is necessary for the performance of their duties.
Your personal information will be stored outside Canada, in the United States of America. Therefore, local tribunal and legislation will have jurisdiction with regards to the access to your personal information.
WHEN WE SHARE PERSONAL INFORMATION
Except as provided in this Policy, Veri does not divulge any personal information gathered via the Services to third parties.
We may share any personal information we have collected about you:
- when you explicitly consent to the disclosure of such information to a third party when connecting to a third-party service (including, without limitation, the Third-Party Apps);
- where we are legally required to do so, such as in response to court orders or legal process, or to establish, protect, or exercise our legal rights or to defend against legal claims or demands;
- if we believe it is necessary in order to investigate, prevent, or take action regarding illegal activities, fraud, or situations involving potential threats to the rights, property, or personal safety of any person;
- if we believe it is necessary to investigate, prevent, or take action regarding situations that involve abuse of the Services’ infrastructure or the internet in general (such as voluminous spamming, denial of service attacks, or attempts to compromise the security of the Website infrastructure or the Services generally);
- to a parent company, subsidiaries, joint ventures, or other companies under common control with Veri;
- in the event of a change of ownership, sale, merger, liquidation, reorganization or acquisition of the corporation, in whole or in part, personal information may be transferred as part of the negotiation process or the transaction, as long as, the party receiving such personal information agrees to be bound by the terms of this Policy;
- if this information is not private, is aggregated or is otherwise non-personal information, such as your public user profile information and related public data (such as Tweets, likes, etc.) or the number of users who clicked on a particular link (even if only one did so); and
- subject to obligations consistent with this Policy, we may also disclose information to our affiliates, agents, contractors, and service providers (including, without limitation, the Third-Party Apps) in order to facilitate the functioning of the Services or to perform tasks that are integral to the Services, such as processing transactions, fulfilling requests for information, or providing support services or other tasks, from time to time. Personal information may also be transferred from Veri to the third parties in control of the Supported Platforms or Third Party Apps, but only to the extent required in order for the Services to function properly.
Any request to access or correct your personal information and any question or comment you may have with respect to this Policy must be sent by mail or email using the following contact information (where the files will be kept):
3293530 Nova Scotia Company
406 Notre-Dame Street East
Montreal, Québec (H2Y1C8)
The consultation of personal information held by Veri is done on site at Veri’s offices during normal working hours and in the presence of an authorized representative of Veri. The applicant may also obtain copies of the information for a reasonable fee for their transcription, reproduction or transmission.
In certain very specific cases, Veri may not be able to supply personal information held by it for reasons of a legal nature. In all such cases, we will convey in writing the reasons why the applicant’s request for access has not been granted.
When Veri refuses to give access to personal information or an applicant’s request for correction, it shall inform the applicant of the reasons for refusal and the remedies provided under applicable law.
In the event the person wishes to dispute the accuracy or completeness of personal information, it shall contact Veri so that the appropriate corrections are made, if necessary.
COMPLAINTS AND RECOURSES
Individuals who wish to submit comments concerning this Policy or its application by Veri may convey their concerns or suggestions to Veri at the coordinates indicated above. Veri will reply to the individual as quickly as possible and inform him or her of the steps, if any, that have been or will be taken in order to address his or her concerns. Members of the general public who have questions about this Policy or any other Veri policy on the protection of personal information may contact Veri at the coordinates indicated above.
If a complaint is substantiated, Veri takes the appropriate measures.
This Policy will remain in effect except with respect to any changes in its provisions in the future, which will be in effect immediately after being posted on this page or a notification being delivered to the customer.
We reserve the right to update or change our Policy at any time and you should check this Policy periodically. Your continued use of the Services after we notify you of any modifications to the Policy will constitute your acknowledgment of the modifications and your consent to abide and be bound by the modified Policy.
If we make any material changes to this Policy, we will notify you either through the email address you have provided us, or by placing a prominent notice on our Website.